“The Clinical and Translational Research Center is your one-stop shop for conducting a clinical study. We provide industry and non-industry clinical trial support across the full patient lifespan, and ensure a positive experience for everyone involved.”
Ronald D. Perrone, MDScientific Director, CTRC
Tufts CTSI Clinical Study Centers include the Tufts Clinical and Translational Research Center (CTRC), Tufts Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (HNRCA), Metabolic Research Unit (MRU), and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Clinical Research Center (CRC).
The CTRC supports high-quality, innovative clinical research across Tufts CTSI partners and collaborators. This includes services at outpatient or inpatient facilities at Tufts Medical Center, 24 hours a day, and across other locations of care as a “CTRC without walls.”
Overseen by its Scientific Director, the CTRC provides you with the infrastructure to conduct stateof-the-art clinical trials in neonatal, pediatric, adult, and geriatric research participants in the outpatient or inpatient setting and offers resources to facilitate clinical research for studying the causes and progression of human disease and for translation of biomedical research to prevent, treat, or cure disease.
Who is eligible?
All CTRC and lab services are available to research teams that include a Tufts investigator or co-investigator. These services are offered for a fee.
The CTRC is staffed by:
- Specialized research nurses
- Research study coordinators
- Medical assistant
Our support for clinical studies includes:
- Protocol design
- Budget development
- Regulatory and coordinating services
- Patient recruitment
- Subject randomization
- Data collection
- Routine and specialized nursing
- Sample collection
- Medical administration
- Adverse event reporting
- Patient follow-up
- Short- and long-term sample storage
Facilities available on Farnsworth 6 at Tufts Medical Center include:
- Waiting area for research participants
- Nursing station
- 2 phlebotomy chairs
- 8 private rooms (5 single-bed, 3 double-bed) that can be used for outpatient or inpatient studies. These are general-purpose rooms that can be used for examination, specialized procedures (e.g., intravenous glucose tolerance test) or interviews. All rooms have private restrooms and all but one have a private shower.
- Administrative offices
- Areas equipped with desktop computers to be used by research coordinators
- Conference area that can accommodate up to 8 persons
- Specimen processing area
- Short-term sample storage area with -20°C freezers
- Long-term sample storage area with -80°C freezers
Staff members work with investigators to provide the most appropriate and cost-effective services to meet their research needs. To get started, submit a request form.
To contact us, please submit a service request.
To contact the Research Participant Advocate, please call 617-627-4255.
Ronald D. Perrone, MD, Scientific Director
Tamsin Knox, MD, Associate Director