To request a REDCap account, please submit a service request and select “REDCap Database Account.”
Tufts CTSI offers REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) to investigators at Tufts CTSI partner institutions. REDCap is a free, secure, HIPAA-compliant, web-based application used for electronic capture and management of research and clinical study data. Tufts CTSI provides hosting, maintenance, and user support to help investigators identify study participants and collect and manage their data. REDCap servers are housed in a secure local data center, behind the Tufts Medical Center (Tufts MC) firewall, and all web-based information is encrypted. The REDCap database is periodically backed up. Please contact us for the latest REDCap summary to include in grant submissions.
- Secure and web-based: input data or build an online survey from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Multi-site access: REDCap databases and surveys can be used by investigators from multiple sites and institutions.
- Autonomous utilization: research groups have complete autonomy to develop data collection forms and add new users.
- Fully customizable: user is in control of shaping their database or survey.
- HIPAA compliance: REDCap is fully HIPAA compliant.
- Audit trail: all changes to data/databases are logged for data audit purposes.
- Advanced features: mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, calculated fields, double data entry, and data quality module with issue resolution workflow.
- Data export mechanism to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R/S-Plus) and formats (csv, CDISC).
Resources and Services
- Secure, HIPAA compliant hosting for your project: input data or build an online survey from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
Please note: studies that require 21CFR part 11 compliant reporting to the FDA should use an alternative EDC system.
- REDCap Account: basic account setup and password recovery assistance.
- Basic database development consultations: we will walk you through database development basics and brainstorm solutions specific to your needs.
- Advanced features consultations: advanced features include double data entry, data quality and issue resolution workflow, MS SQL dynamic queries, mid-study modifications, auto-validation, branching logic, and calculated fields.
- Advanced database development: we will work with you to scope the work and fully develop the database for your project following the best practices for data management and REDCap database development.
- Individual and Group REDCap features overview: available upon request on a case-by-case basis.
- Instructor-led Data Management and REDCap Database Development workshops – check our calendar for the next session.
Who is eligible?
REDCap may be available to investigators at all Tufts CTSI partners. Investigators not affiliated with a Tufts CTSI partner/collaborator and students must work with a Tufts MC investigator to be eligible for services.
For fast and successful service:
- Please submit a service request.
- When requesting a REDCap account, please use your institutional email address (not Gmail, AOL, Yahoo, etc.).
- If you are not the Principle Investigator, please identify the PI you are working with.
- Let us know whether you/your team needs data entry access only, or will also need the ability to create new projects.
If you would like to establish an account, have any questions about the use of REDCap, or need help developing a database, please reach out to us using our request form and select REDCap account or REDCap support.
REDCap Drop-in Sessions
Interested in getting help with your REDCap projects? Tufts CTSI now offers free REDCap Drop-In Sessions on Tuesdays from 10:00AM-noon. Sessions are 30 minutes long and are available to all staff and faculty at Tufts CTSI partner and collaborator organizations.
Schedule a drop-in session to discuss any aspect of REDCap that requires expert advice, such as requesting a feature demonstration, making small modifications to a database, or discussing the pros and cons of different database setups. Drop-in sessions are private, so you can discuss real projects and data; they can be either one-on-one or include multiple members of your study team.
After we receive your request, we will send you a Zoom link.
To request support or use of our services, please submit a service request.
Have questions? Please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.
William Harvey, MD, MSc, FACR, Co-Director, Informatics
Andrew Williams, PhD, Co-Director, Informatics
Svetlana Rojevsky, MSc, Program Administrative Director, Informatics
Tufts CTSI upgraded REDCap to version 11.1.8 in September 2021.
- Read the REDCap 11.1.8 Release Notes (PDF).
- View a slideshow about some of the new REDCap features (PDF).
Tufts CTSI upgraded REDCap to version 10.6 in February 2021.