COMMON METRICS INITIATIVE WEBSITE AND TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TRANSITIONS TO CLIC
Common Metrics website resources are now available at the Center for Leading Innovation and Collaboration (CLIC) website.
CTSA Program hubs can contact CLIC for technical assistance at email@example.com or phone 585-276-6243.
The Clinical and Translational Sciences Awards (CTSA) Consortium, led by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), part of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is charged with accelerating and improving clinical and translational research. So far, the potential of the CTSA Program is only partially realized. In order to maximize the Consortium’s impact, NCATS is implementing the Common Metrics Initiative, which employs a set of common metrics for use in collaborative management based on the principles of the Results-Based Accountability (RBA) framework. The Common Metrics Initiative will use a set of developed common metrics that will help to focus all activities, as a network and at the hubs, on making significant, measurable improvements in research translation and workforce development.
On these pages, we will share project documents and resources including:
- Training module copies
- Pre-work documents
- Learning assignments
- Case studies
- Useful tools and forms
- Recordings of training webinars.
For the most up-to-date versions of the operational guidelines of the current common metrics, please see below.
We will also share additional resources related to Common Metrics topics, Results Based Accountability resources and Quality Improvement/Research Process Improvement.
Common Metrics Operational Guidelines
- Common Metrics Operational Guidelines – Careers in Clinical & Translational Research (PDF)
- Common Metrics Operational Guidelines – IRB Duration (PDF)
- Common Metrics Operational Guidelines – Pilot Funding & Publications (PDF)
- Common Metrics Operational Guidelines – Pilot Funding & Grants (OPTIONAL) (PDF)
Implementation Success Stories
The Common Metrics Initiative is being implemented across the CTSA Consortium. Implementation Success Stories present some of the ways these diverse institutions are using the RBA framework and other CMI tools. These snapshots are meant to highlight innovations and provide an accessible source of practical ideas for supporting continuous improvement at any hub.
- University of Kentucky, Center for Clinical and Translational Science: Using RBA to Encourage and Better Track Acknowledgment of CT Support in Publications (PDF)
- Virginia Commonwealth University Wright Center for Clinical and Translational Research: Unpacking IRB Workflow to Shorten Protocol Review Times (PDF)
The Help Desk provides general support for the implementation of the Common Metrics at your hub. Anyone at a CTSA hub involved with the Common Metrics implementation can contact the help desk:
- Phone: 617-636-8722
- Email: TuftsMCCMIHelpdesk@tuftsmedicalcenter.org
Project Updates/Important News
Common Metrics Transition
Entering the 2016 Common Metrics Values and Updating Turn-the-Curve (TTC) Plans
2016 Common Metric values and updated Turn-the-Curve (TTC) plans for the first three metrics were due August 30, 2017. Please contact the Helpdesk if you have any questions. Updating your TTC plan includes describing any changes to underlying factors, the progress you have made by implementing selected strategies, and the results of any additional measures you are using to track progress with these strategies. Click here for step by step guidance on updating Scorecard.
Development of 2017 Common Metrics
- Informatics Metric
- Accrual Metric (coming soon!)
- Metric Informational Sheet
- Metric Informational Slide Deck
- Questions? Contact Patricia.Jones@nih.gov