Who We Are
- The CTSA Collaborative Data Safety and Monitoring Board (DSMB) Workgroup is a collection of faculty and staff from more than nine CTSAs who have been working together on DSMB issues since our first meeting on April 27, 2011. The DSMB Workgroup has a history of sustained collaboration under its Co-Chairpersons, Blair Holbein (UTSW) and Carson Reider (OSU).
- Accomplishments to date include a survey of DSMB use at CTSA institutions, sharing educational material on DSMBs with internet-based conferencing, and the creation of a DSMB Training Manual of best practices for investigator-initiated studies.
- Since its inception in 2011, the DSMB Workgroup has held monthly teleconferences hosted by Laurel Yasko at the University of Pittsburgh. These meetings will continue and help provide oversight and educational outreach.
- Creation and dissemination of the DSMB Training Manual
- Continued training of the research community for safety oversight for investigator-initiated studies
- Production of training videos based on the DSMB Training Manual
- Communication with interested research groups (via email and calls)
- Contributions to the medical literature on safety oversight issues
To join the CTSA Collaborative DSMB Workgroup, you should:
- Be currently working at a university, academic health center, not-for-profit research organization, or other similar institution in the United States.
- Have a current role related to administrative, operational, and/or research safety oversight for investigator-initiated clinical research.
As a member of the CTSA Collaborative DSMB Workshop, you will:
- Stay informed of applicable regulations, guidance, policies and processes related to the inclusion, administration, and/or service related to clinical research with particular application to investigator-initiated clinical research studies.
- Participate in monthly DSMB Workgroup conference calls and/or webinars.
- Contribute to DSMB Workgroup projects including, but not limited to, information and instruction dissemination.
- Access group email distribution and discussion threads.
- Learn and contribute to the collective knowledge on safety oversight and DSMB-related topics.
Expectations of Members
Members of the CTSA Collaborative DSMB Workgroup are expected to:
- Serve as a liaison between the Workgroup and the member’s home institution.
- Share best practices and other aspects that may improve safety oversight.
Apply for Membership
The CTSA Collaborative DSMB Workgroup Membership Application may be accessed here (PDF).
Please complete the PDF form, save it to your computer, and email it to DSMBManual@gmail.com.