Planning to submit a scientific research grant proposal in early 2018? Need useful feedback on your research objectives?
Tufts CTSI invites 10-15 motivated faculty with developed research project ideas to sign up for Developing Your Specific Aims: a Writing Workshop Series for Researchers. This popular four-session grant writing course is designed to help you develop the critically important Specific Aims section of NIH-style grant proposals through peer and expert support.
The workshops will be facilitated by Susan Lewis, Assistant Director of Tufts University’s Office of Research Development (ORD), and Anna Dalby, Research Development Specialist, Tufts ORD. They will guide you through the nuts and bolts of grantsmanship and peer review and provide feedback to help you develop your Specific Aims. You will receive feedback and revise your Specific Aims page three times during the program.
By the end of the series, you will be able to:
- Describe the NIH-style grant submission process
- Explain the importance of aligning the Specific Aims page with the funding agency’s mission and priorities and adapting for reviewers’ areas of expertise.
- Apply strategies for clear and concise grant writing
- Practice constructive and effective peer review
Please note that the final session is 3 hours long and begins at 9AM.
- Session 1 (October 4, 9:30AM – 11:00AM): Overview of Page One and Funding Agencies
- Session 2 (October 11, 9:30AM – 11:00AM): Peer Review, Round 1
- Session 3 (October 18, 9:30AM – 11:00AM): Clarity, Concision, and Coherence in Writing
- Session 4 (October 25, 9:00AM – 12:00PM): Peer Review, Round 2, Next Steps
To Be Announced
Register here by September 29.
Participants must attend all four sessions and must be able to submit a draft of their Specific Aims by September 29.
The timeline of this program may best serve faculty members targeting a proposal submission in early 2018; however, anyone currently writing aims for NIH or a similar grant is welcome.
Registration is first come, first served, and open to all members of Tufts CTSI partner institutions. Once the course is full, additional registrants will be put on a waitlist. We will confirm your enrollment as soon we finalize the registration list.
Still formulating a research concept? Need some advice? Submit a service request.